Hidden frame glass doors are a popular choice in residential and commercial design. They look great and offer protection against cold weather and other elements. Many might assume they are the same as their open-frame doors counterparts, but they are very different in various aspects, including their manufacturing process. If you are in the market for a new set of these doors, here is what you need to know.
The process of making hidden frame glass doors
A design team creates a detailed drawing of the window. A designer then uses the master template to build a mold to shape the molten glass. The time it takes to complete a luxury glass window depends on its design.
The glass comes from the ground up with sand, sodium carbonate, limestone, salt cake, and dolomite. Ready-made glass is also obtained from specialized providers that manufacture it upon request.
Contractors make the frame from premium, durable materials like aluminum, bronze, steel, and wood. One also has the option of going frameless.
Hidden frame glass doors are a type of door made of two panels. These panels are made of glass attached to the frame, with a space between them. A decorative material like wood, or even metal in some cases, fills that space. The first panel of this door fixes to the frame, and the second panel slides into it from one side. Pull the panel outwards from the other side to open the sliding panel.
Hidden frame construction is quite different from regular framed glass doors, which use two thin sheets of glass with a wooden or metal frame on the outside.
Crafting a hidden frame glass door is a five-step process:
- Cut two strips of high-quality aluminum to the length needed for the door.
- Fold those pieces into shape with a sheet of tempered glass sandwiched in between.
- Polish the seams so that they are as seamless as possible and all signs of welding are removed.
- Next, paint or cover both sides of the glass in a film to protect it from scratches and stains.
- Finally, any lights needed on the door are in place so that the finished product is ready for installation in your home.
What you will need
Materials needed for installing these doors are:
- Wood panels
- Glass sheets
- Door tracks
- Metal clip
- A drill
- Glass door handles
These tips may be helpful during the installation of the doors:
- First, cut the wood panels to size based on the glass panel measurement, then mount the door track onto the surface where you want to install the door.
- Fit the panels onto the door tracks with shims and screws on both sides of each panel for stability.
- Attach hinges to the top and bottom of the panels. Then, insert a metal clip into the backside of each hinge, attaching it to the door jamb.
The hidden frame glass doors need to be well maintained because they are complex and delicate. Since these doors lack a protecting frame like other types of doors do, they are subject to a great deal of wear and tear. Beyond keeping your door shut, here are some tips for maintaining these doors:
- If you plan on leaving your door open, such as when running errands in the backyard, close it quickly so that dirt does not accumulate on the tracks.
- Keep track of how often you need to clean the door by checking how much lint accumulates in the bottom track every time you vacuum. The more the lint, the more often it needs cleaning.
Where can I get this type of door for my house?
This is one question frequently asked after settling on using these types of doors at home. Whether you are looking for a more custom look or a cost-effective solution, finding people in your area who offer these services is not difficult. Some reliable retailers specialize in manufacturing quality types of hidden frame glass doors.
One may need some help installing or upgrading your home’s doors. Make sure to call a professional contractor in your area who specializes in home renovations and repairs. They will be able to provide all the information and resources you need to install these doors in your home.